White House reviewing ‘cash for clunkers’ program
WASHINGTON – The White House said Thursday it was reviewing what has turned out to be a wildly popular “cash for clunkers” program amid concerns the $1 billion budget for rebates for new auto purchases may have been exhausted in only a week.
Transportation Department officials called lawmakers’ offices earlier Thursday to alert them of plans to suspend the program as early as Friday. But a White House official said later the program had not been suspended and officials there were assessing their options.
“We are working tonight to assess the situation facing what is obviously an incredibly popular program,” White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said of the Car Allowance Rebate System. “Auto dealers and consumers should have confidence that all valid CARS transactions that have taken place to date will be honored.”
Gibbs said the administration was “evaluating all options” to keep the program funded.
A Transportation Department official said the department was working with Congress and the White House to keep the program going. The administration officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the discussions.
The CARS program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.
Congress last month approved the program to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads. The program kicked off last Friday and was heavily publicized by car companies and auto dealers
Through late Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased through the program and nearly $96 million had been spent. But dealers raised concerns about large backlogs in the processing of the deals in the government system, prompting talk of a possible suspension.
A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association found about 25,000 deals had not yet been approved by NHTSA, or nearly 13 trades per store. It raised concerns that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, auto dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.
“There’s a significant backlog of ‘cash for clunkers’ deals that make us question how much funding is still available in the program,” said Bailey Wood, a spokesman for the dealers association.
Alan Helfman, general manager of River Oaks Chrysler Jeep in Houston, said he was worried that the government wouldn’t pay for some of the clunker deals his dealership has signed because they aren’t far enough along in the process.
His dealership has done paperwork on about 20 sales under the clunker program, but in some cases the titles haven’t been obtained yet or the vehicles aren’t yet on his lot.
“There’s no doubt I’m going to get hammered on a deal or two,” Helfman said.
The clunkers program was set up to boost U.S. auto sales and help struggling automakers through the worst sales slump in more than a quarter-century. Sales for the first half of the year were down 35 percent from the same period in 2008, and analysts are predicting only a modest recovery during the second half of the year.
So far this year, sales are running under an annual rate of 10 million light vehicles, but as recently as 2007, automakers sold more than 16 million cars and light trucks in the United States.
Even before the suspension, some in Congress were seeking more money for the auto sales stimulus. Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich., wrote in a letter to House leaders on Wednesday requesting additional funding for the program.
“This is simply the most stimulative $1 billion the federal government has spent during the entire economic downturn,” Miller said Thursday. “The federal government must come up with more money, immediately, to keep this program going.”
Michigan lawmakers planned to meet on Friday to discuss the program.
Brendan Daly, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said they would work with “the congressional sponsors and the administration to quickly review the results of the initiative.”
General Motors Co. spokesman Greg Martin said Thursday the automaker hopes “there’s a will and way to keep the CARS program going a little bit longer.”
AP Auto Writer Tom Krisher in Detroit contributed to this report.
Dealers riding clunkers to the bank
Allure of $4,500 boost for trade-in pulls buyers into auto showrooms
By Sean Sposito, Globe Correspondent | July 30, 2009
Massachusetts auto dealers say the new “cash for clunkers’’ voucher program is giving them a much-needed boost in business this week.
The federal promotion – which offers buyers an instant discount of up to $4,500 when a qualifying vehicle is traded in for a new, fuel-efficient model – was rolled out over the weekend, and by yesterday dealers were reporting a jump in sales. Buyers have an additional incentive, too – avoiding the 25 percent increase in the state sales tax that takes effect Saturday.
While there have been complaints that the program is too complicated and won’t ultimately cure automakers’ ills, for now area dealers are just happy to see customers flocking to their showrooms.
“It’s the best week in several years for people in the automotive industry,’’ said Dan Quirk, president of Quirk Auto Dealerships. Quirk said the prospect of shaving thousands of dollars off the price of a car is driving up activity at his 10 showrooms.
Quirk said he usually sells about 1,500 cars a month, but expects to do significantly better in July. “We’ve probably sold 350 just this weekend, 120 through cash for clunkers,’’ he said.
Kevin Haggerty, 60, of Pembroke was shopping at Quirk Chevrolet in Braintree on Monday, hoping to trade in his 1999 Ford F-150, which he estimates is worth around $1,600, as a clunker. The Chevrolet Colorado he was eyeing had already been sold, but Haggerty expects to eventually buy a new car under the voucher program.
“I’m 90 percent sure that I’m going to make a move, unless something is too pricey,’’ he said.
Juan Banos, lead sales manager at Expressway Toyota in Dorchester, said his dealership closed about 30 cash for clunkers deals over the weekend alone. Banos said that even if the program increases monthly sales modestly, he’ll consider it a success.
“An extra 10 to 30 deals, we make at least an average of $1,000 per deal, that’s $30,000 for the dealership just in one weekend,’’ he said. “That could either make it or break it, as far as quotas go.’’
Gregg McCutcheon of Brockton said he was motivated to shop by the promise of cash for clunkers, formally the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS. The $1 billion program, which will run through Nov. 1 – or as long as the funds last – allows $3,500 to $4,500 trade-ins on cars that get less than 18 miles per gallon and are less than 25 years old. The money can be applied only toward new cars, and there are other restrictions.
“Cash for clunkers is what got us out here,’’ said McCutcheon, 57, after he bought a car from Mansfield Jeep-Chrysler. But McCutcheon ended up with a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country van instead of a current model.
“I’m 6-foot-6,’’ he said. “The dashboards on the new ones seemed to come out a little bit further, so I picked up a used one.’’
Not buying a new car meant McCutcheon wasn’t eligible for the CARS program, however.
Despite the upbeat moods in showrooms, some dealers said the paperwork associated with the federal program has been overwhelming. Reidar Davies, general sales manager of Prime Honda in West Roxbury, said his dealership has already written more than 40 cash for clunkers deals, but it has required a lot of extra effort.
“The paperwork is extremely, extremely rigorous and demanding,’’ he said. “It requires a ton of data entry.’’
And submitting the deals for government approval online has been painfully slow, Davies said.
Melissa Steffy, general manager at Herb Chambers BMW and Mini in Boston, said sales made with customers over the weekend are just now getting processed online.
“It’s a matrix to put these deals together,’’ Steffy said.
Even signing up to participate in the program was a headache for some dealers. Karen Aldana, a spokeswoman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said more than 20,000 of the nation’s 25,000 auto dealers have enrolled in the program. But the demand was so high that some dealers could not get onto the agency’s website, she said.
Some local auto industry officials are trying to put the promotion in perspective. With Chrysler merging with Fiat to survive, and General Motors emerging from bankruptcy propped up by $50 billion in taxpayer funds, no one is saying automakers’ troubles are history.
“It’s a $1 billion program and the money will go fast,’’ Quirk said of cash for clunkers. The funding translates to about 225,000 vehicles – just one week of sales across the country.
Sean Sposito can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.